Childhood Lead Poisoning

Download PDF

Lead poisoning in children is preventable.  The key is stopping children from coming into contact with lead and treating children who have been poisoned by lead. Once a child has been poisoned the impairment it may cause is irreversible.

All children under the age of 6 years are at risk because they are growing so rapidly and because they tend to put their hands or other objects, which may be contaminated with lead-based paint or lead contaminated dust into their mouths.

Lead poisoning causes irreversible damage to the brain and nervous system as well as the heart and red blood cells resulting in:

The harmful effects of lead poisoning are permanent.  The only cure is prevention!

For more information go to:

Connecticut Department of Public Health, Lead Poisoning Prevention and Control Program: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3140&q=387550&dphNav_GID=1828&dphPNavCtr=|#47067

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Lead: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/

United States Environmental Protection Agency,
http://epa.gov/lead/pubs/leadinfo.htm

HOW TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT’S COMMUNITY RESOURCES DATABASE:
Search by service names:

—————————–

SOURCE: CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; The Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning
PREPARED BY: 211/mm
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: May2017