Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Download PDF

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.  Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as natural gas, oil, kerosene, wood or coal is burned. The symptoms of CO poisoning mimic those of the flu, including headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or loss of consciousness.

IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS OF CO POISONING OR IF CO DETECTOR GOES OFF:

  1. Leave your home immediately!
  2. Call 911 or the Connecticut Poison Control Center (800-222-1222) from a cell phone or a neighbor’s house after you have left the house.
  3. Call the local fire department to test for CO, or call your fuel supplier or licensed heating contractor for an emergency inspection.

For more information on Carbon Monoxide go to:

Connecticut Department of Public Health’s Indoor Environmental Quality website resources

Connecticut Poison Control Center

————–

 SOURCE: Connecticut Department of Public Health
PREPARED BY: 211/mm
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: December2016