Adult Education

Download PDF

Each school district is mandated to provide, or make arrangements to provide, specific classes free of charge to qualifying adults. Instructional programs include basic literacy skills, English language acquisition, citizenship and secondary school completion including preparation for the high school equivalency exam (GED). Any adult who is 17 years of age or older and no longer in school may qualify for these programs. (Effective July 1, 2011, the age at which a parent or guardian may provide consent for a child to withdraw from school was raised from 16 to 17.)

Continuing Education
In addition, most local towns offer a variety of general interest, vocational and recreational courses, which are available to residents, usually with a course fee attached. Many programs waive course fees or reduce them for older adults. Information can be obtained by contacting the Connecticut State Department of Education or your local Board of Education.

Citizenship Preparation
Instruction is designed for adults who wish to become United States citizens. Persons completing this program are prepared to pursue citizenship through the prescribed Immigration and Naturalization Service process.

English as a Second Language (ESL)
Instruction is designed for adults who have limited proficiency in the English language or whose native language is not English.

Adult High School Credit Diploma Program
The Adult High School Credit Diploma Program requires adults to earn a minimum of 20 credits in academic and elective areas through a prescribed plan. Credits for work or military experience, independent study projects and online courses are additional ways to obtain credit.

Adult Basic Education
Instruction is designed for adults seeking a high school diploma who are functioning below the secondary school level and lack the basic reading, writing and numeracy skills necessary to function effectively as workers, parents and citizens.

GED (General Educational Development)
The GED Test is now offered only on computer. In order to register for the GED test, an individual should: be a resident of Connecticut; be 17 years of age or older and officially withdrawn from school for at least six months; not be enrolled in school; and not have graduated from high school.

For more information and to request a copy of an official GED transcript issued in Connecticut go to:

 To Find Providers in Connecticut’s Community Resources Database:
Search by service names:

SOURCE: Connecticut State Department of Education