Firearm Permits

Download PDF

The following is summarized from the website of the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP): Permits to carry guns are issued through the Special Licenses and Firearms Unit of DESPP.


In order to get a Connecticut State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers, applicants in Connecticut must first apply for, and be granted a local pistol permit. Applications can be obtained at your local police department or First Selectman’s office in the city or town where you reside or maintain a place of business. Out of state residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. Out of state residents may apply for a nonresident Connecticut State Pistol Permit by emailing their request to SLFU.OOS@ct.govThe application contains instructions for obtaining the permit. There is a $70.00 fee.

Individuals are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA’s “Basic Pistol Course,” prior to submitting the application. Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. You will also be required to submit to a background investigation, criminal history check and submit fingerprints and photographs in connection with your application.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS ON PERMIT: A change of address on your permit is required within 48 hours of your move. Call the SLFU at 860-685-8290, to update an address.

PERMIT RULES AND RESTRICTIONS: The permit is valid for five years from date of issue unless it is revoked or suspended. A permit may be kept if the applicant moves out of state provided that they notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of their change of address and continue to renew their permit. Only people who are permit holders, along with Eligibility Certificate holders and sworn police officers, may purchase a handgun. These restrictions also apply to the purchaser of any handgun that you sell. Contact the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for information on selling a handgun.

ASSAULT WEAPONS: Permits are NOT issued for assault weapons. Only law enforcement and military personnel may possess assault weapons for their official duties. Contact the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for further information on who is eligible to obtain a Certificate of Possession for assault weapons.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: Answers to questions about the firearms permit process can be found at the DESPP website and at the website of the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners: (

Search by service name: Firearm Permits

SOURCE: Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection website; Board of Firearms Permit Examiners website