Food Stamps / SNAP

Download PDF

Food Stamps Snap (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Program Administration: The Food Stamp program (now known as SNAP) is a federal program administered by the US Department of Agriculture and managed in Connecticut by the Department of Social Services (DSS). The following is summarized from the DSS website,—SNAP

Who Can Get SNAP?

A person must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen to qualify for SNAP. U.S. citizens and certain legal immigrants who have little or no income are likely to be eligible for SNAP. This includes, but is not limited to, people who are:

NOTE: Due to the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) emergency, Congress has waived all SNAP work requirements. As a result, individuals will not be subject to the 3 month time limit for the remainder of the public health emergency –

USDA Website on Eligibility

Income Restrictions

Asset Restrictions

Where Do People Apply?

***If you’re enrolled in SNAP already, you can now take care of your “periodic report form” online, here:

What Documents are Needed?

Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)

All benefits are issued into a recipient’s EBT account. If your last name starts with A-F, you will receive benefits on that 1st of the month; G-N on the 2nd, and O-Z on the 3rd. Benefits are issued on these dates even if it’s a holiday or weekend.

When granted SNAP, an EBT card is mailed to you, along with instructions on how to set up your PIN (Personal Identification Number). This number is your secret code that allows only you to access your benefits. If you give this number to someone else, they can access your benefits if they have your card. Keep your PIN number safe and do not keep it with your card. Benefits removed from your EBT account will not be replaced.

If having trouble with card, pin number, if card is lost or stolen, you must call the 24/7 Customer Service Line, 1-888-328-2666

What is the Appeal Process if SNAP Benefits are Denied? Request for appeal of a denial must be made within 90 days of the date of the decision notice by calling the Administrative Hearing Unit at 860-424-5760 (within Hartford calling area) and 1-800-462-0134 (if calling from outside of the Hartford calling area), or write to: Office of Legal Counsel, Regulations and Administrative Hearings, Department of Social Services, 55 Farmington Avenue, 11th Floor, Hartford, CT 06105 (Fax Number – 860-424-5729).

Advocacy For information concerning legal rights or for assistance with an appeal call Statewide Legal Services. End Hunger Connecticut provides advocacy for the food needs of low income children and adults in the State of Connecticut.

UCONN Center for Public Health and Health Policy has created a website, Snap4ctwhich has healthy eating tips that includes recipes, health questions answered by a nutritionist, and a sign up for a Snap newsletter, and much more.

To Find Providers in Connecticut’s Community Resources Database:

Search by service name: Food Stamps/SNAP


SOURCES: Connecticut State Department of Social Services; U.S. Department of Agriculture; End Hunger Connecticut; University of Connecticut Public Health and Health Policy