How to Find a Doctor / How to Find Information about a Doctor – Connecticut
All physicians and health care providers must be licensed in order to practice medicine in Connecticut. Physicians who practice a particular specialty must be certified by a specialty board; they are not licensed by the state of Connecticut to practice a specific specialty or subspecialty.
HOW TO FIND A DOCTOR OR A SPECIALIST IN CONNECTICUT
- The Connecticut Department of Public Health licenses all doctors and health care practitioners practicing medicine in Connecticut. To find a licensed health care provider in Connecticut, go to the DPH website, https://www.elicense.ct.gov/, and click on Verify a License and Roster, then click on Health Care Practitioners. First time applicants must register to create a new account.
- Doctor referral services at hospitals can refer to doctors and specialists in their network.
- County medical associations have listings of physicians.
- Medline Plus (a service of the National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health) offers online physician directories (see: www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/directories.html).
HOW TO FIND A DOCTOR WHO ACCEPTS MEDICARE
- The Medicare website has a directory of doctors and other healthcare professionals at the website http://www.medicare.gov (Click on find doctors and other health professionals from the home page). You can specify providers who accept the Medicare approved amount as payment in full for your search. Referrals to local doctors who accept Medicare can also be obtained by calling the Medicare Hotline (1-800-MEDICARE).
HOW TO FIND A DOCTOR WHO ACCEPTS MEDICAID
- Certain Medicaid programs – TFA, HUSKY, Healthy Start – are managed by HMOs. People receiving health insurance from those programs must use a doctor in their HMO’s network, and should call their HMO for a referral.
- Other Medicaid programs – State Supplement for the Aged, Blind and Disabled, Refugee Medical Assistance, people on a spenddown, and people with Medicaid for the Employed Disabled – have “fee for service” Medicaid and they can go to any doctor, provided the doctor accepts Medicaid for payment.
TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT’S COMMUNITY RESOURCES DATABASE:
Search by Agency/Program Name: Practitioner Licensing and Investigation Section.
PREPARED BY: 211/rj
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: June2019