International Driving Permits

Download PDF

The following information was excerpted from “U.S. Department of State Driving and Road Safety Abroad” ,

If you are planning a trip outside of the United States, and you plan on driving a car while in another country, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP). While many countries do not recognize United State driver’s licenses most accept an IDP. The permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into 9 languages. The IDP is not meant to replace a valid United States license, and it should only be used as a supplement to your valid license while traveling abroad. You can get an IDP from the American Automobile Association (AAA):

NOTE: an IDP is not valid for use by a U.S. citizen or legal resident while driving in the U.S.


Canada normally accepts driver’s licenses issued by U.S. state governments as valid. If you wish to confirm that your driver’s license will be accepted in Canada, contact Transport Canada, 330 Sparks Street, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0N5, or call (613) 990-2309, or Toll Free 1-866-995-9737, TTY: 1-888-675-6863


The U.S. Department of State is aware that IDPs are being sold over the Internet and in person by persons or agencies not authorized by the Department of State. IDP’s sold by unauthorized persons/agencies are not valid. In addition, many of these IDPs are being sold for fees far greater than the fee charged by the two agencies authorized by the Department of State. Consumers who believe they may have been the victim of this scam should report this to their local office of the U.S. Postal Inspector, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Better Business Bureau, or the Connecticut Attorney General’s Office.

TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT’S COMMUNITY RESOURCES DATABASE: Search by service name: International Driving Permits

SOURCE: “U.S. Department of State Road Safety Overseas”; Automobile Club of America (AAA)