Name Changes / Changing Your Name – Connecticut

Download PDF

The information provided on the 211 eLibrary is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as legal advice.

Who Can Request a Name Change?
Because the Connecticut Supreme Court has determined that name changes should be granted liberally, any adult Connecticut resident who wishes to formally change his or her name may do so, provided that the name change is not for the purpose of fraud or other illicit activity.  Parents of an adopted child may also request a name change for their child.

How to Apply for a Name Change

Changing Your Name on Other Records
Individuals who are changing their name because of marriage or divorce will need to take additional steps to ensure that their name change is reflected in other important records:

To Find Providers in Connecticut’s Community Resources Database:

SOURCES: Social Security Administration; State of Connecticut Judicial Branch; Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles; State of Connecticut Probate Court Administrator