Download PDF

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK AND PASSPORTS: As of May 2020, the Connecticut Passport Agency is closed to the public. Additionally, the U.S. Department of State has issued an advisory warning against applying for a passport, except in cases of life-or death emergencies. Doing so could lead to delays in receiving your passport and in having your citizenship documents returned. For more details, go to:


The following is summarized from the website of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs:

HOW TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT: Passport applications are accepted at over 9,000 facilities in the United States, including courthouses, libraries, municipal offices and local post offices. Minors under age 16 need to apply in person with one or both parents or the child’s legal guardian(s). Application forms can be downloaded at the Bureau of Consular Affairs website:

Go to: for the Application For A U.S. Passport and what documents you need to submit with this application. Passports are routinely processed and sent to applicants within 6 weeks. Passports can be expedited within 3 weeks door-to-door with an additional fee, or expedited at Agency within 8 business days (Based on need, restrictions apply).

TO OBTAIN A PASSPORT WITHIN TWO WEEKS: Applicants who need a passport within two weeks (or within four weeks to obtain a foreign visa) can make an appointment at the Connecticut Passport Agency, 850 Canal Street, Stamford. Call (877) 487-2778 to make an appointment.  See details at website:

HOW TO RENEW A PASSPORT: Applicants can renew passports in person or by mail. You can choose to renew by mail if you already have a passport that is not damaged and can be submitted with your application, have received the passport within the past 15 years, were over age 16 when the passport was issued, and still have the same name as in the passport or legal documentation of a name change. To obtain a passport by mail:

If your passport has been altered, damaged or mutilated, you must apply in person. U.S. residents abroad should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

HOW TO REPLACE A LOST OR STOLEN PASSPORT: To replace and report the loss or theft of a passport, make an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency or Center, and complete an Application for a United States Passport (Form DS-11) and a Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport (Form DS-64), call 1-877-487-2778 to report it lost or stolen, or go to the website and submit DS-64 online. For more information:

Search by service name: Passports


SOURCE: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs website