Public Housing Rent Freeze

Download PDF

Program Administrator: The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, through local Public Housing Authorities.

Program Description: The Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act of 1998 includes an earned income disregard applicable to the rent paid by people living in public housing or people with disabilities who are receiving assistance under Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher Program), Supportive Housing Program (SHP), Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA), and HOME programs. People who meet these qualifications, and who have a new or better paying job, must then meet one of the following qualifications:

For most people, this earned income disregard will work like a simple rent freeze, in steps: for the first twelve months, there is no rent increase; for the second twelve months the rent may be increased by half; in the third twelve months, the rent may be increased to the full amount, depending upon income. Tenants receiving this earned income disregard must report changes in income and/or employment status to their housing authority.

For more information go to United States Department of Housing and Urban Development website at:

How to Apply: Submit a written request to your Housing Authority. Call Statewide Legal Services (SLS) for information on what to write in your letter. If you do not receive the earned income disregard, submit a written request for a grievance hearing, and call SLS for further information. Also, ask your Housing Authority and SLS if you were previously eligible for an earned income disregard. You may qualify to get some of your rent back.

To Find Providers in Connecticut’s Community Resources Database:

Search by service name: Housing Authorities

SOURCES: United States Department of Housing and Urban Development