Social Security Cards: Documents Required To Obtain A Social Security Number And Card Or A Replacement Card

Download PDF

April 2021: All local Connecticut Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service unless you have an appointment. Appointments will be for specific situations where dire needs exist. To locate local site numbers and information please use the website – Federal agency administers retirement, survivors, disability, and Medicare benefit provisions of the Social Security Act.

If an individual is unable to conduct business online, check the online  field office locator – for specific information about how to directly contact a local office in your area. The National 800 number is 1-800-772-1213 and  (TTY 1-800-325-0778).


The following information was obtained from the U.S. Social Security Administration’s web page at:

To Obtain a New Social Security Number and Card you will need to provide at least two documents to prove age, identity, and U.S. citizenship or current immigration status.

The new online service allows individuals to get replacement Social Security cards through the Social Security Administration website at:

To Obtain a Replacement Card, if lost or stolen, you must prove your identity and U.S. citizenship.

To prove identity: Social Security must see:

If you do not have these specific documents or cannot get a replacement for them within ten days, Social Security will ask to see other documents, such as:

To Prove Age: Social Security must see:

To prove U.S. citizenship: Under recent changes in law, only certain documents can be accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include:

To prove immigration status:   If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social security must see your current U.S. immigration documents.   Acceptable documents include:

How to Change a Name on Your Social Security Card: To change your name on your Social Security card, you must also complete Form SS-5. You need to provide recently issued documents that show your legally changed name such as a marriage document, divorce decree, court order for a name change, or certificate of Naturalization showing the new name. The new Social Security card will show your new name, but will have the same number as your old card.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency.   Social Security cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents or receipts showing you have applied for a document.

To Find the Nearest Social Security Office Look in Connecticut’s Community Resources Database:
Search by Service Name: Social Security Numbers


SOURCE: U.S. Social Security Administration website 
PREPARED BY: 211/rj