- Free Tax Help – Click here for information and resources
Free Tax Help – Click here for information and resources
Free tax preparation is available to households through the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. VITA sites offer free tax services from mid-January through mid-April to individuals who qualify.
Free Tax Preparation through VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
BASIC ELIGIBILITY FOR VITA: The VITA program is for households who generally make $57,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Also, individuals who are self-employed should have business expenses less than $25,000, and individuals should not have income from a rental property.
ONLINE VITA PORTALS: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, many physical VITA locations will not be open this year. But the Connecticut VITA coalitions are still offering clients an opportunity to have their taxes completed for free by an IRS-certified volunteer via a combination of an online form and the telephone. Individuals who qualify for VITA and have access to a smartphone or computer, internet/WiFi , and a valid phone number may take advantage of the online VITA options. See below for information about how to get started with VITA online in various regions of the state.
Tax Documents: Click HERE to view or print the list of documents that individuals need to provide VITA in order to have their tax return prepared.
- Central & Northeastern CT (Hartford, Tolland, and Windham Counties): Use this link to access the online Virtual VITA portal: https://thevillage.jotform.com/210186513692859. You’ll complete a brief intake form, upload your documents, and be on your way to having your tax return completed by a trusted VITA tax preparer. NOTE: Since we are outside of the normal tax season, we expect it will take approximately two to three weeks to complete your virtual tax return.
- Bristol, Farmington, Meriden, New Britain, Plymouth, Southington, Wallingford, Vernon: Virtual VITA is available through HRA of New Britain. Individuals with limited technology can schedule an appointment to drop of their tax return documents by dialing 860-356-2000 or at www.hranbct.org/VITA.
- Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex, New London, and Litchfield Counties: Use this link to access the online GetYourRefund VITA portal: http://www.getyourrefund.org/CAHS-CT. You’ll complete a brief intake form, upload your documents, and be on your way to having your tax return completed by a trusted VITA tax preparer. Specific online GetYourRefund links to individual sites can be found at https://www.cahs.org/vita-sites.html.
- Fairfield County: Individuals may also access the online GetYourRefund portal for Virtual VITA, Inc at https://www.getyourrefund.org/virtualvitainc-site
OTHER VITA OPTIONS:
- Click HERE to view a statewide list of free tax preparation programs, enter your town or zip code in the location box, and click the yellow search icon.
- Individuals who need further assistance can contact 2-1-1 (option 3, then 6) to explore all options for free tax preparation this year.
Free Filing Options for Individuals Who Don’t Qualify for VITA
Additional Information on Tax Credits
To access information about banking/credit union options, budgeting, debt management and more, visit the New Haven Financial Empowerment Center website: http://www.newhavenfinancialempowerment.com/