VITA 2021 – Required Documents for Tax Filing

Download PDF

Documents Needed for VITA Tax Preparation:

1. Photo ID for you and/or spouse if filing jointly

2. Social Security Cards or ITIN Letters for every member of your family (if you do not have a card for every member of your family – you must contact the social security administration to replace card prior to having taxes prepared)

3. W-2s and/or 1099s from ALL of your jobs worked in 2020

4. 1099-NEC (non-employee compensation) (Note: New form for 2020 required to complete an accurate tax return – shows if taxpayer is considered self-employed)

5. Health Insurance Documents – If you signed-up for health insurance through the CT Marketplace, you must bring all tax documents that you receive from the Marketplace (if you received form 1095A it is REQUIRED to complete your tax return) – forms 1095A, B or C

6. Unemployment Compensation – form 1099G (This form will not be mailed, taxpayer must get from CT Department of Labor themselves)

7. If self-employed, any related business expenses

8. Interest/Dividend statements from your financial institutions (if applicable)-forms #1099 INT, 1099DIV

9. Tuition and student loan information (if applicable) form 1098T or 1098E

10. Documentation from your daycare provider (their SSN or EIN) if you paid for child care in 2020

11. If you own a home, your annual mortgage information.

12. If you itemized your return last year, your state of CT refund information (last year’s tax return)

13. A record of any taxes paid to the town (property taxes, automobile, etc.)

14. Records of any charitable donations that you made (monetary or other)

15. Any other income information or IRS notices that you received

16. Copy of your last year’s tax return. This will be very helpful for taxpayers that did not utilize one of our VITA sites last season, as VITA will not have access to that info in their tax software.

17. If you would like to direct deposit, please bring a voided check from your checking account or the account and routing number for your savings account (NOTE: you can apply for a pre-paid debit card at the tax site if you do not have an existing account.)